Fungal nail infection (onychomycosis) is a common foot condition that affects people of all ages. Fungal Nail Symptoms are commonly seen in older individuals or in individuals who have decreased immune system.
Fungi are a group of organism that like to live in dark, warm, moist areas and fungal skin infection (Tinea Pedis) is known to be a predisposing factor to fungal nail infection.
You may see:
- White, yellow or brown discoloration under the nail plate
- Nail plate may be discolored
- Nail plate may be thickened
- May have debris build up under the nail plate
- Nail plate may be brittle, flaky and have crumbling edges
- As the nail becomes thicker, it may become painful with shoe gear
A fungus that belongs to a group of fungi called dermatophytes typically causes fungal nails infections.
Conservative Treatment of fungal nail infection:
- Over the counter or prescription topical medications (solutions, cream)
- Laser nail treatment (in office treatment)
- Anti fungal medications by mouth
Rarely invasive / surgical intervention is indicated for fungal nail infection. Surgical treatment / removal of nail plates are usually reserved for painful / symptomatic fungal toenails.
We encourage you to consult with a foot and ankle specialist for a complete assessment of your condition.
Dr. Jones Hormozi at Valley Foot & Ankle Center (VFAC) utilizes state-of-the-art technology, minimally invasive procedures, and advanced techniques to prevent and treat all conditions of the foot and ankle. This allows most patients to walk immediately after most procedures, and they are able to rapidly return to high levels of functioning with excellent outcomes.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
Dr. Jones Hormozi is a Board Certified Podiatrist in Los Angeles. Dr. Hormozi is known for treating sports injuries in patients of all ages. He has treated and operated on professional athletes, semi professional athletes, college athletes and high school athletes. Dr. Hormozi is also Clinical Assistant Professor of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery at Western University of Health Sciences.Request an Appointment